Buying a new sink for your kitchen is one of those decisions that you research for a while before deciding on one. A kitchen sink is quite a commitment. It’s something you’ll use for a long time and it’s not the type of thing you change often. So making the right decision is crucial here.
There are so many type of kitchen sinks out there. So many designs and so many materials to choose from. And since you’ve landed on this page, I would say you’re settled on a Workstation design for your kitchen sink.
In this post, I will be talking about what Workstation kitchen sinks are, which are the best and how each brand compares to the other. All information that will help you pick the right sink for you.
What Is a Workstation Kitchen Sink?
Whether you are cooking your favorite meal, making a quick snack or preparing a holiday meal… there are a lot of tasks to go through. Cutting ingredients, washing vegetables and fruit, washing pots, plates or tools. A Workstation allows you to do all of these tasks in one place, the sink. Thus, eliminating mess all over your kitchen, saving up countertop space and keeps you organized.
Workstation sinks have a smart design that allows you to place accessories on the ledge of the sink, making them integrated to the sink’s design and allow you to do everything right over the sink. They’re usually available in many different sizes and come with various accessories to suit your need. Also depending on the brand, they’re available as either undermount, drop in or farmhouse style sinks.
Best Rated Workstation Kitchen Sinks:
Krause KORE Workstation Sink:
- DIMENSIONS: 30 in. L x 19 in. W x 10 in. D; Minimum Cabinet Size: 33 in.
- WORKSTATION SINK with integrated ledge allows you to slide custom accessories across the sink to streamline meal prep and cleanup without losing space on the kitchen counter – 5-PIECE CHEF’S KIT INCLUDES: ROLL-UP DISH DRYING RACK perfect for rinsing produce, drying dishes, and protecting countertops from hot items; BAMBOO CUTTING BOARD won’t crack or warp, resists odors and bacteria; DISH GRID, STRAINER and DRAIN COVER
- SPACIOUS SINGLE BOWL: Deep sink with tight-radius corners and offset drain creates an uninterrupted workspace for washing your largest cookware, like stock pots and baking sheets – Undermount INSTALLATION creates a seamless transition from sink to countertop – SMART DESIGN adds valuable counter space by allowing you to work right over the sink, perfect for a kitchen of any size
- HEAVY-DUTY 16 GAUGE STEEL – Made with TRU16, the thickest stainless steel on the market, this workhorse of a sink is highly resistant to corrosion and dents – RUST-RESISTANT FINISH is easy to clean and will not dull from daily use – STAINLESS STEEL BOTTOM GRID protects sink surface and keep dishes elevated for optimal draining.DO NOT use any abrasive material, such as a scouring pad, brush, or steel wool, to clean the surface of your Kraus product
- ENGINEERED FOR EASY DRAINING with offset drain, gently sloped bottom, and channel grooves that prevent water from pooling in the sink – FULLY INSULATED with proprietary NOISEDEFEND SOUNDPROOFING, including extra-thick pads and protective undercoating that absorb noise and vibration when sink is in use
Available Sizes: varies from 17 inch to 45 inch depending on style.
Available styles: Undermount, Drop in, Farmhouse
Material: Stainless Steel
Included Accessories: pack of 5
Additional Accessories? Yes, available for purchase separately.
Krause is no stranger to high quality kitchen fixtures. Krause Kore Workstation is a single bowl stainless steel sink available in many spacious sizes. The ledges allows you to slide custom accessories (included) to streamline all your tasks from prepping to cleaning.
The sink comes with 5 premium accessories:
- Roll up dish drying rack: you can use this to wash produce, drip dry cups or dishes or you can move it to your countertop to place under hot pots.
- Bamboo cutting board: a cutting board made from the best material, bamboo. Bamboo is not prone to crack, very resistant to bacteria and this integrated design allows you to cut, dice and chop right over your sink.
- Stainless steel grid and strainer: the grid is placed inside the sink to elevate dishes. This is beneficial for either draining dishes or pots better inside the sink, or to protect the sink from any item that might scratch it. The strainer is great for catching any left over food or debris.
- Drain Cover: this cover conceals the drain assembly and gives your sink a seamless look. It fits over garbage disposals and it drains water easily thanks to the open sides.
If you feel like a single bowl is not enough for your use, the Krause Kore is also available in a double bowl design. It includes one dish drying rack, one bamboo board, two stainless steel grids and strainers and two drain covers.
Ruvati Workstation Ledge Kitchen Sink:
- WORKSTATION sink with single-tier track - Overhanging lips on the front and back act as a track for sliding the built-in accessories | Includes solid wood CUTTING BOARD, deep STAINLESS STEEL COLANDER, and dish-drying roll-up rack that slide on the ledges converting your sink to a workspace
- 16 GAUGE Premium T-304 Grade Stainless Steel (18/10 Chromium/Nickel) will never rust or stain | Commercial grade BRUSHED FINISH - Easy to clean and long-lasting. Unlike satin finish, our brushed-finish hides scratches and matches well with your kitchen appliances
- Heavy duty SOUND GUARD UNDERCOATING and THICK RUBBER PADDING to minimize noise and reduce condensation | Sloped bottom with grooves to allow complete water drainage | | zEDGE zero Radius - sharp inside corners for a resolutely modern look
- Exterior dimensions: 32" (wide) x 19" (front-to-back) | Interior bowl dimension: 30-1/2" (wide) x 16" (front-to-back) x 10" (bowl depth) | Standard 3.5" drain openings will fit any garbage disposal unit
- Included in box: Sink, Cutting Board, Bottom Rinse Grid, Basket Strainer Drain, Cutout Template, Mounting Clips and Installation Guide | Limited Lifetime Warranty - Ruvati USA
Sizes: 15 to 45 inches
Styles: Undermount, Farmhouse or Drop in
Material: Stainless Steel
Included Accessories: 5
Additional Accessories? No.
Another beautiful workstation sink, this time from Italian brand, Ruvati. Although it serves the same as the Krause sink, it is more premium in its design (and price).
The Ruvati sink includes:
- Roll-up drying rack.
- A solid wood cutting board, which is a step up from bamboo. Solid wood cutting boards is more durable and handles liquids better.
- Deep stainless steel coriander: great for washing and draining produce.
- It also includes a stainless steel grid for bottom draining or protecting as well as a drain strainer.
Just like the Krause Kore, if yo feel like the Ruvati single bowl is not enough for you, there’s a double bowl design available, too.
Ruvati Double-Tiered Workstation Sink:
- TWO-TIERED tracks - Overhanging ledges on the front and back provide two levels of tracks for sliding the built-in accessories. UPPER track sits 1/4" below the rim and the LOWER track sits 2" below the upper track.
- 16 GAUGE Premium T-304 Grade Stainless Steel (18/10 Chromium/Nickel) will never rust or stain | Commercial grade BRUSHED FINISH - Easy to clean and long-lasting.
- Heavy duty SOUND GUARD UNDERCOATING and THICK RUBBER PADDING to minimize noise and reduce condensation | Bottom of the sink engineered for PERFECT WATER DRAINAGE - features a 1" slope from one end of the sink towards the drain.
- Exterior dimensions: 33-1/2" (wide) x 19" (front-to-back) | Interior bowl dimension: 32" (wide) x 14-5/8" (front-to-back) x 10" (bowl depth) | MINIMUM BASE CABINET Size: 36" | Standard 3.5" drain opening will fit any garbage disposal unit
- Included in box: Sink, reversible cutting board/tray, wood platform with mixing bowl and colander attachments, 3-bowl condiment tray, foldable stainless steel drying rack, bottom rinse grid, basket strainer drain, cut-out template and mounting brackets | Limited Lifetime Warranty - Ruvati USA
If you want to expand the functionality of your sink even more, Ruvati offers a double-tiered sink that holds even more accessories.
Available in three sizes: 33, 45 and 57 inch
Material: Stainless steel
Included accessories: 10
The two tier rims allows for more accessories to slide on the sink at the same time. And of course, this type of sink includes even more accessories:
- Reversible cutting board/ tray made of solid hardwood.
- Wood platform that fits in a mixing bowl, pasta strainer or grater… all included.
- Deep colander.
- Foldable drying rack.
- Bottom grid.
- Basket strainer.
- Decorative drain cover.
KOHLER Prolific Workstation Sink:
- SINK SIZING: 33" x 17 3/4"
- MINIMUM CABINET BASE WIDTH: 33" to 36" minimum cabinet base width, if doing 33", modifications to current cabinet may be required
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: Sink includes a bamboo cutting board, grated racks, wash bin and colander which are great for draining pasta or defrosting meat.
- KITCHEN WORKSPACE: The sinks grated ledges allows you to place your accessories at your desired height to create your own personal kitchen workspace
- PREMIUM STEEL MATERIAL: 18 gauge stainless steel is strong enough to withstand your every day use to last a lifetime. Drain hole:3 3/4 inches
Available sizes: 23 to 44 inch
Material: Stainless steel
Included Accessories: 4
Additional Accessories? No
The KOHLER Prolific is the highest end and most expensive of all listed workstation sinks featured here. Yet, it has the least amount of accessories. What gives it an edge over the other?
The Prolific can be the most functional out of them thanks to the fact that it has three level of rims, so you can place your accessories at three multiple levels.
Although it is made of 18 gauge stainless steel, which is less in thickness than the previously listed models.
The Kohler sink includes: a bamboo cutting board, two grated racks for holding up dishes to dry and it can also support heavy pots or pans. It also includes a wash bin and a colander. It does NOT include a bottom grid like other sinks, however, you most likely won’t need it as you can dry your plates/pots on the included grated racks.
How To Choose The Right Workstation Sink for Your Kitchen?
So which of these top rated sinks to go for? There are a few things to keep in mind before picking one…
Size: this is an obvious one. Before buying your sink, make sure you see that it matches the sink space in your kitchen. Each sink size tells you the exact cabinet base width needed to fit, so read the specifications carefully.
Installation Method: Undermount or drop in? Which style would you prefer or which fits your kitchen? Krause Kore and Ruvati have all styles available. Kohler Prolific only available in undermount installation.
Included Accessories: Do the accessories included with your chosen sink fit your needs? In this case, only Krause allows you to expand the use of your sink even more with additional accessories you can buy. However, how many of these additional accessories you can use at the same time will depend on the size of the sink you choose. Kohler Prolific, although it does not have additional accessories to buy, it is the most functional due to its three level setup and will give you enough room to organize the included accessories in a better way. If you’re looking for the most premium accessories, then look no further than Ruvati.
What Is The Best Grade Stainless Steel for Kitchen Sinks? 16 vs 18 Gauge Stainless Steel:
The term Gauge is a unit name that refers to the percentage of chromium and nickel in the steel. So if you read a metal product with the description ’18/10 stainless steel gauge’, this would mean that it is 18% chromium and 10% nickel.
What does this mean in terms of sinks, then?
Most high quality sinks are made with either 16 or 18 gauge stainless steel. The lower the gauge number, the thicker stainless steel. So a 16 gauge stainless steel sink is more rigid than an 18 gauge.
When used, both 18 and 16 gauge sinks are durable and you’ll hardly feel the difference. However, sometimes you can hear the difference. A 16 gauge sink is quiet when something is dropped inside of it (since it’s thicker).
Which gauge do you choose? Out of these two, choose the best price for your budget, for sure. However, do not go for any number higher than 18 gauge, that’s when you’ll start to feel the difference.