In This Post...
Features of Breville Juice Fountain Cold XL:
- Newly designed 3.5 inch extra wide chute allows you to add in whole fruits and vegetables without the need to prep and cut them.
- Cold spin technology with less than 2F degrees of heat transfer. This technology allows juice to flow up through the stainless steel cutting disc to ensure only very little heat increase or transfer.
- Variable speed settings with noise reduction technology. Choose Quiet setting to reduce noise by 40%.
- Fast setting extracts up to 70 oz of juice 5x faster than a Cold Press juicer.
- Includes a 70 oz jug which you can juice directly into then keep sealed in the fridge.
- Material: Stainless steel juicing basket – Italian Micro Mesh Filter – Titanium reinforced cutting disk .
- Dimensions: 13.4” x 13.2” x 17.4”
- Chute: 3.5” extra wide chute
- Power: 1200 Watts.
- Type of Juicer: Centrifugal
- Included Accessories: XL 70 oz juicing jug – cleaning brush – Juice nozzle to juice directly into a glass.
What Is Cold Spin Technology and Why Is It Important?
As we know, there are two types of juicers. Centrifugal juicers, which are the type of juice extractors that we’ve all used at one time or another. And then there are Masticating juicers, which are also known as Cold Press juicers or slow juicers.
One of the cons of centrifugal juicers was that when they operated, the spinning of the cutting disc would transfer heat onto the ingredients, making them lose some of their nutrients. That’s when slow or cold press juicers came along to save the day. A Slow juicer does not have a disc like a Centrifugal juicer does, it works slowly and has no heat transfer. That’s why cold press juicers have been quite popular, as of late.
The Breville Juice Fountain Cold XL is a centrifugal juicer. Does that mean that you’ll losing nutrients as you juice due to heat transfer? No, because that’s where Breville’s Cold Spin technology comes in…
The stainless steel cutting disc surrounded by Italian made mesh filter allows the juice to flow through the disc, which brings down the heat transfer down to less than 1.8°F. So, while the Juice Fountain Cold XL is not a slow juicer, it has much less heat transfer than your average centrifugal juicers.
Breville Juice Fountain Cold XL vs. Juice Fountain Elite, What’s The Difference?
- 1000-watt juicer with 2 speed controls, high (13,000 RPM) and low (6,500 RPM)
- Die-cast steel housing; stainless-steel micromesh filter; titanium-plated cutting disk
- Circular 3-inch feed tube accommodates whole fruits and vegetables. Voltage is 110-120 Volts and over 40,000 filtering pores
- 1.1 quarts Juice Jug capacity, 3.2 quarts Pulp Container capacity book, dishwasher-safe parts
- Locking arm bolts move up to 1/4 in all directions to ensure a snug fit in the locking arm. Note-do not operate juicer more than a minute at a time when using at rapid rate or with firm pressure. Allow the motor to rest for one minute between each use
The Juice Fountain Elite is perhaps Breville’s most popular juicer. This is the juicer that was used in the famous Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead documentary. It’s been a while since the Juice Fountain Elite was released. It’s still going strong, however, new technologies have been introduced since then. So let’s have a look at the difference between it and the newer Juice Fountain Cold XL:
Cold Spin Technology: this is obviously one of the important features to come to the Juice Fountain Cold XL. This technology is what is going to ensure that your juice keeps as much nutrients as possible, which still operating in fast speed. The Juice Fountain Elite does not have Cold Spin technology.
Speed: Juice Fountain Elite operates at two speeds, low or high, using a simple switch button to choose either speed. The Juice Fountain Cold XL has a dial knob and variable speeds to choose from: These speed settings are labeled as QUIET: which is slowest and works at 40% noise reduction, works perfectly for soft ingredients. FAST: this setting can extract up to 70 oz of juice up to 5x faster than a cold press juicer. Then there’s BOOST setting: which is the fastest and works best for hard ingredients.
Capacity: Juice Fountain Elite includes a 40 oz jug while the Juice Fountain Cold XL includes a 70 oz jug with a seal.
Chute Size: The Juice Fountain Elite has a 3” wide chute. The Juice Fountain Cold XL has a 3.5” chute. Both are wide chutes and don’t need ingredient prep for most fruit and vegetables.
Power: Juice Fountain Elite has 1000 Watts power, Juice Fountain Cold XL operates at 1200 Watts power.
Which One To Buy?
As of the time of writing this post, I see a price difference of only $49 between these two juicers. This looks about a fair price to pay for Cold Spin technology, an XL jug capacity, an XL chute and variable speed settings. All that makes the Juice Fountain Cold XL a much better choice.
Breville Juice Fountain Cold XL vs. Breville Fountain Crush:
- Masticating juicer extracts maximum juice yield from soft fruits and vegetables
- Ultra quiet 240-watt motor
- Direction control ensures fruit or vegetables can be dislodged from juicing screw
- Filter basket with auto purifying for maximum yield and easy cleaning between juicing
- Measures 8-1/2 by 7-1/2 by 16-inch, 1-year limited warranty
The Fountain Crush is another popular choice for a juicer from Breville. However, there’s a big difference between it and the Juice Fountain Cold XL:
- Juice Fountain Cold XL is a centrifugal juicer.
- Fountain Crush is a masticating (slow) juicer.
So, it’s quite different how both juicers operate:
- Juice Fountain Cold XL operates at high speed with a 1200 Watts motor to yield juice in fast manner, all without transferring heat to the juice, thanks to Cold Spin Technology.
- Fountain Crush works very slowly with 240-watts motor to extract as much juice as possible from each ingredient.
Juice Fountain Cold XL, being a fast juicer, is designed to juice more and as quick as possible, that’s why it includes a large 70 oz jug that you can juice directly into. A juicer like Fountain Crush, or any slow juicer for that manner, includes a small jug that is not meant to use for storing, but only to collect the juice when juicing.
The chute on the Fountain Crush is small, so prepping your ingredients is required unlike with the extra wide chute of the Juice Fountain Cold XL which can accommodate full size ingredients without the need for cutting.
Which One To Buy?
As these two are different kind of juicers, the question is, what juicer type would you prefer? Slow juicer or centrifugal juicer? If you’re not sure, read our article on the difference between them here. Once you’ve figured out your preferred method of juicing, you’ll be able to pick between these two models.
Breville Juice Fountain Cold XL vs. Juice Fountain Cold:
- The Breville Juice Fountain Cold is a high performance juicer with an innovative cold extraction system that can provide a super sized 70fl oz of juice goodness; The 850 watt motor processes even the toughest fruits and vegetables in just seconds.Safety Locking Arm : An Interlocking Safety Arm stops juicer operating without cover locked into place.
- Cold Extraction System: A Breville juicer with Cold Spin Technology and an Italian-made precision mesh filter, allows you to avoid damage to vitamins and minerals from heat and processing
- Short Prep Time: The juicers unique 3 inch extra wide chute feed allows you to juice whole fruits and vegetables without pre-cutting
- Extra Large Seal and Store: Juice and seal in a XL 70 fl oz jug for the whole family or store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
- LED Display: The juicer machines display illuminates if the motor has stopped due to overloading; This is a preventative feature to ensure safe use and ensure motor longevity
Now this is a model that is quite similar to the Cold XL model. It has:
- Cold spin technology
- 70 oz jug capacity
- 3″ wide chute – almost as big as the Cold XL’s chute.
So, what’s the difference between them?
Material: The Cold XL has Titanium Reinforced Cutting Disk. Italian Micro Mesh Filter. Stainless Steel Juicing Basket. The Juice Fountain Cold has Stainless steel micro mesh filter basket and Stainless steel cutters.
Speed Settings: The Cold XL has variable speed settings with QUIET setting which reduces mechanical noise by 40%. The Juice Fountain Cold has only two settings, Low for soft fruit and High for hard fruit.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I juice any type of fruit and vegetables in Breville Juice Fountain Cold XL?
Yes! Anything from hard to soft fruit to leafy greens.
Does it work with celery?
It does. Celery or any similar greens should work just fine.
Are the juicer parts dishwasher safe?
Yes, most parts like the jug, pulp container and cutting discs are dishwasher safe.
What’s Included with the juicer?
70 oz jug with a seal, a nozzle for juicing directly into a glass, a pulp container, a cleaning brush and a recipe book.