FoodSaver Vacuum Sealing System: V4840 vs. V4880, What’s The Difference?
Do You Really Need a Vacuum Sealing System at Home?
There are many benefits to using a vacuum sealing system to save food, keeping them fresh longer is only one of those benefits:
- Using a vacuum sealer allows you to preserve your food and keep it longer for much longer time.
- Sealing your food is also great for prepping your food and meals in advance to save you a lot of time.
- Jar sealing is one of the benefits of FoodSaver vacuum sealing system. This feature allows you to air-tight seal your jars to keep its contents fresh.
In this post, we will be looking at one of the best selling vacuum sealing systems for the home, FoodSaver. In particular, we’ll be looking at two models: the V4840 and V4880. We’ll look at their features, differences and which would make the best choice for you.
Features of the FoodSaver V4840:
- Automatic vacuum sealing system with retractable handheld sealer and starter kit.
- Keeps food fresh 5x longer.
- Automatic bag detection: the system starts sealing right away.
- Handheld retractable sealer to use with zipper bags, containers, canisters and more.
- Marinates food in minutes instead of hours: Quick Marinator Accessory marinates meat, poultry or fish in under 15 minutes.
- Special settings for dry or moist foods for optimal sealing.
- Pull-out drip tray, fully removable and dishwasher safe.
- Starter Kit includes: (1) 11″x10′ Roll, (3) Qt Heat-Seal Bags, (2) Gal Heat-Seal Bags, (3) Qt Zipper Bags, (2) Gal Zipper Bags
Features of FoodSaver V4880:
- Fully automatic sealing system with retractable handled sealer.
- Keeps food fresh 5x longer.
- Automatic operation and bag detection.
- 2 vacuum speeds
- Auto detection for type of food, dry or moist, adjusts speed accordingly.
- Pulse Vac feature allows you to manually control the sealing operation.
- Rapid Marinate mode marinates food in minutes.
- Starter kit includes: 1 – 11 inch x 10 feet heat seal roll, 5 quart sized FoodSaver heat seal bags, 5 quart sized FreshSaver Zipper Bags, 1 wine stopper
What Is The Difference Between FoodSaver 4840 vs. 4880?
Image Title FoodSaver 4840 2-in-1 Automatic Vacuum Sealing System with Bonus Built-in Retractable Handheld Sealer, Starter Kit, Heat-Seal and Zipper Bags Foodsaver V4880 Fully Automatic Vacuum Sealing System Bonus: Handheld Sealer, Freshsaver Container, Wine Stopper (standard) Feature Starter Kit includes: (1) 11"x10' Roll, (3) Qt Heat-Seal Bags, (2) Gal Heat-Seal Bags, (3) Qt Zipper Bags, (2) Gal Zipper Bags
Built-in retractable handheld sealer seals zipper bags, canisters, containers and marinates food in minutes
Moist/Dry food settings for optimal sealing
Convenient roll storage and bag cutter
Pull-out drip tray drawer with patented, removable, dishwasher-safe drip tray
FoodSaver Vacuum Sealing Systems are engineered to work best with FoodSaver bags and rolls
Starter kit includes: 1 - 11 inch x 10 feet heat seal roll, 5 quart sized FoodSaver heat seal bags, 5 quart sized FreshSaver Zipper Bags, 1 wine stopper, 1 lunch & leftover container
BPA Free - Fully automatic operation auto detects FoodSaver® bag and starts vacuum sealing. Extra wide sealing strip that applies heat for a secure, air-tight seal. Pull out drip tray drawer catches overflow liquids which is also dishwasher safe.
Air-tight heat seal removes air from specially designed bags. 2 vacuum speeds automatically adjust based on food type, auto detect moist or dry food, Pulse Vac feature allows complete manual control of air removal.
Rapid marinate mode marinates in minutes instead of hours.Convenient rolls storage, and built in cutter to create custom-sized bags
Retractable handheld sealer, works with all FreshSaver bags and containers and FoodSaver canisters and marinators
Reviews Read Reviews Read Reviews Link More Info More Info
When it comes to design, there’s only a slight difference between the two models:
- The FoodSaver 4840 has its buttons on top.
- The FoodSaver 4880 has its buttons on the lower part.
The FoodSaver 4880 has two upgraded features that the 4840 doesn’t have:
- It has automatic food type detection, which means it can detect if you’re sealing dry or moist food, and it adjusts the speed accordingly.
- It has Pulse Vac feature which allows you to seal your food manually.
Included Starter Kits:
- Each machine includes the same amount of bags, but the type and sizes vary.
Any Other Difference?
No, there are no other differences than the ones listed above. At the core, the two models do the same job. Except for the upgraded features of the 4880.
Which One To Buy?
Without a doubt, we would recommend the FoodSaver 4880 over the 4840. The automatic dry/moist detection sounds convenient, but it’s more than that, it can actually save you from choosing the wrong speed which in turn can ruin your food. Pulse Vac feature, which is manual sealing, gives you more freedom to seal at your own pace.
What To Buy With Your FoodSaver Sealing System:
Although your FoodSaver purchase will come with a set of bags to use, there are a few other accessories that are definitely worth buying to give you more use of your machine. Here are our recommendations:
The wide-mouth jar sealer accessory is used to seal wide jars of all kind. This isn’t a lid, but an accessory that you would place on top of your jar’s lid. It attaches to your FoodSaver sealer, press the seal button and it will air-tight seal your jar to keep its contents fresh. Also available as a regular size.
This 2.25 quart canister is perfect for use with the Quick Marinator feature of your FoodSaver. It allows you to marinate your food in 15 minutes or less instead of hours. The vacuum sealing process opens up the pores of the food, allowing any marinade to go through your meat, poultry or fish in a quick manner. The canister is air-tight sealed, microwave and dishwasher safe. It is great for prepping food or keeping it safe til use time.
These bottle stoppers will fit any standard bottle. If you opt for the FoodSaver V4880, you’ll get one of these in your starter pack, and this set gives you an additional 3 stoppers. They are easily removable and reusable.
Review of FoodSaver V4880: